The Women’s World Floorball Championships are played in Neuchâtel this December and we want to follow the players’ journey towards the event. To promote women’s floorball and Women’s WFC, we have one player from each participating country, acting as the IFF GoGirls! Ambassador. The ambassadors will be introduced during the next weeks and the journey towards the World Championships may begin!
Kate MacBean is the GoGirls! ambassador from team USA. Kate has represented USA in the 2017 Women’s WFC in Bratislava. In addition, she has played in two World Floorball Championship Qualifications, in 2019 and 2015.
– My Name is Kate MacBean and I was born and raised in the Central Valley of California.
How did you start playing floorball and how long have you played?
– I’ve been a hockey goalie for 17 years, and about 7 years ago a friend of mine suggested I try floorball. I played defense at first because I’ve been a hockey goalie for a long time and I wanted to try something new. Eventually, the women’s team asked if I’d consider playing as a floorball goalie instead, because of my hockey experience. I agreed and here I am!
How did you join the national team?
– A friend from my club at home told me about an opportunity to play with the women’s team, so I contacted them and joined the team! I originally played on defense for the team back in 2015, then switched to goalie in 2017.
How do you prepare for the WFC 2019?
– Every week I play in two hockey leagues, my floorball club, and go to the gym. I have individual sessions with one of the other goalies in my club where we work on fundamentals.
Who is your favourite floorball player?
– I enjoy watching Eero Kosonen and other outstanding goalies!
– I have recently started rock climbing and I love to build mechanical keyboards!
GoGirls! Floorball is the IFF project aimed at helping to increase and promote the participation of girls and women in floorball throughout the world. Read more from here