Since 2014, in April of every year, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the anti-doping community worldwide have celebrated Play True Day – a day that is dedicated to Clean Sport and is intended to raise awareness among athletes, the sporting public and others about the importance of protecting Clean Sport. WADA now invites stakeholders to “Play Safe on Play True Day 2020”.
The inspiration for Play True Day stems from a WADA-hosted Education Conference in 2013, which was attended by 17 South American countries. While the celebration started as a small South American initiative, last year, the Agency’s digital and social media campaign reached over six million people with numerous individuals and organisations taking part from around the globe.
This year, given the impact that the COVID-19 pandemic is having around the globe, WADA is seizing the opportunity to engage the global anti-doping community in solidarity around the theme Play Safe on Play True Day 2020, asking you to share what you are doing and why to curb the spread of the virus.
Therefore, WADA is inviting athletes, National and Regional Anti-Doping Organisations, Sports Federations, Major Event Organisers and other anti-doping stakeholders from around the world to join the Agency’s social media campaign on 9 April 2020 and promote public health by expressing the reasons why you Play Safe on Play True Day 2020.
– I wish to thank everyone who is taking part in raising awareness about the importance of Playing Safe for Play True Day 2020. This year’s campaign is once again reaching all corners of the globe, showing how we as the Clean Sport community are doing our part to fight COVID-19 and protect public health. WADA joins the world in navigating these uncertain times and in being grateful to the healthcare workers and all others who are working selflessly to help us navigate this difficult moment in history. We salute this global team effort on Play True Day and remain well prepared for the day when anti-doping efforts can return to full force, WADA President Witold Bańka said in WADA press release
In order to engage as many stakeholders as possible, WADA has created a number of branded visuals for stakeholders to brand their own Play Safe on Play True Day 2020 photos and videos. These include:
- Branded frames that you may layer onto your photo or video messages;
- A Play Safe Pledge that can be either printed and personalised or personalised digitally for your social media platforms; and
- Various GIFs that have been created for the day that can be used on Instagram
Participants are also encouraged to:
- innovate by creating personalised Play True, Play Safe visuals based on your specific country, language and/or sport;
- use hashtags #PlayTrue #PlaySafe and #PlayTrueDay both in the lead-up to and on the day in order to extend the reach and impact of the campaign on social media; and
- follow the campaign in real time via our dedicated Play True Day social media wall.
Source & more information: WADA