On this day 33 years ago in Huskvarna, Sweden the International Floorball Federation was founded by the floorball associations of Finland, Sweden and Switzerland. Four years ago the IFF declared 12th of April as the International Floorball Day as a part of the celebration of its 30th anniversary.
Since 1986, the floorball family has come a long way. At the moment, there are over 361 000 licensed players all over the world and 72 member associations with Central African Republic and Kiribati. Also Rwanda and Burkina Faso have joined the IFF family since the International Floorball Day last year.
The highlight of the year 2018 was the World Floorball Championships played in Prague in December. The Men’s WFC 2018 broke several records:
- New WFC total attendance record: 181 518 (the previous total attendance record was from the Men’s WFC 2014 in Gothenburg, Sweden, with 104 445 spectators).
- New single day attendance record: 36 856 (final day)
- New single match spectator record: 16 276 in FIN – SWE final (the previous record was all the way from 1996. During the final match between Sweden and Finland in Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden, there were 15 106 spectators).
- New opening day attendance record: 31 073
- New opening day match spectator record: 12 326 in CZE – GER match
- Close to 85 000 sold tickets. This is a new record.
Check out the video with the best moments of the past year: